Pet Owner Guide to Caring for a Bird
Bird Facts & Tips
- Birds make great, cheerful pets and can be as playful and interactive as dogs and cats.
- They will be long-term companions and may bond closely with you or your family. Think of yourselves as their new flock.
- Birds can be startled by quick movements or loud noises and may become stressed.
- They love to sing and talk. Some will mimic speech and sounds.
- Some species will not be the best complement to households with other pets.
- Pet Supermarket will help you find the right food formulated specifically for your bird.
- Birds generally consume small quantities of food and eat frequently throughout the day.
- Always have food and water readily available.
- Some birds may require regular supplements or even regular fruit and veggies to maintain proper nutrition.
Caging & Environment
- Be sure to select a cage that will allow your bird to exercise, stretch and climb.
- Playing is essential for your bird's healthy mental development and sense of security. Choose toys that encourage exercise and are mentally stimulating.
- Birds enjoy being able clean themselves and should have a bird bath accessible. Be sure to clean the bath water a few times per week.
- Claws will require constant trimming. This can be done at home but may take some practice.
Bring Home a New Bird Friend
Once you've decided that a bird is best pet for you and your family, it's time to visit your local Pet Supermarket. We have an extended assortment of birds in-store.
Special orders are also available for more unique options.
Can't miss essentials
We strive to enhance the lives of people and their pets. Our goal is to be your trusted local, neighborhood pet store, because after all, we speak pet!