Red Foot Tortoise
Scientific Name:Chelonoidis carbonaria
Lifespan: Over 25 years
Size: Approximately football size
- A redfoot tortoise’s diet should consist of
- 80% fresh veggies (refer to 700-40), fed daily
- 15% fresh fruit (refer to 700-40), fed daily
- 5% protein (mealworms, superworms, cooked chicken, egg yolks) fed daily
- Avoid these foods:
- Chocolate & other candy
- Iceberg lettuce
- All food should be dusted with calcium powder/vitamin powder (alternating days)
Caging & Environment
- A minimum of a 20" long tank with screen cover.
- Reptile Bark substrate
- 75w Basking Light with fixture (or a light that will provide a basking temperature of 83°-88°)
- 5.0 Compact Fluorescent UVB light with fixture
- Shallow Water Bowl
- Food Bowl
- Hide Cave
- Calcium & Vitamin Powders (used alternately)
- Originally from South America, this beautiful tortoise only gets about football size and is easy to care for.
- Unlike the African Spur Thigh Tortoise, Red Foots are omnivores, so some protein is a must, but can be given in the form of egg yolks or insects.
- Their name origin is quite obvious to see -- the bright red ‘spikes’ on their legs give it away.
- There are some locales that feature a bright red head – they generally come from Brazil and are called Cherry Head Red Foot Tortoises.