Lifespan: Up to 3 years
Size: About baseball size
Sexual Maturity:6 weeks old
Gestation :16 days
Weaned:3 weeks old
- A hamster’s diet should consist of:
- 75% square meal
- 10% dried hay, grains, seeds & dried veggies
- 5% fresh fruit/veggies (spinach, carrots, apples)
- Avoid these foods:
- Chocolate & other candy
- Uncooked beans
- Treats may consist of:
- Treat sticks
- Prepackaged chew sticks
- Plain grain cereals (such as plain Cheerios)
Caging & Environment
- Syrian hamsters are solitary animals and should be housed alone. Dwarf hamsters may be housed in pairs, but beware! They breed quickly!
- Caging should include a hide area, food bowl, water bottle, and exercise wheel.
- Bedding should be about 1” deep. Offer additional nesting material to satisfy the hamster’s natural gathering behavior.
- Hamsters are nocturnal by nature – this means they like to be active at night and may nip during the day if disturbed.
- Provide the hamster with an exercise ball for out-of-the-cage fun!